Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What do I need to think while planning to build a 3D printer?

Well there are many things you need to consider.

1) What is the purpose?
This will help you to decide which kind of material, build size, resolution, etc. The most important thing is that your choice will also define the costs :(

2) What skills I need?
Well, today you can learn basically everything on internet, you won't become an electronic engineer overnight but I am sure you can learn how to control a step motor (I did it :)). You can ask help to friends.

3) What about tools?

You will need many precision tools, it is not possible to build such machine with simple tools. You may need to use a CNC for precison parts. I will mention some tools used while building the printer.



4) Time and money..
Yes, you may spend sometime to do it and money too. I expect to spend around 1.5k to 2k USD to build one. But I already spent 2 times this amount just in tools last 2 years, but don't worry you can use your friends tools also.

Have fun

Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the Project


I have been dreaming about having a 3D Printer at home for many years, but the ones with good quality are not affordable and the low costs just deliver poor quality. Sounds crazy but I decided to build a high resolution 3D Printer by myself at home (people actually said that I was crazy and this was impossible). The funny thing I never saw this type of machines in real life, and still haven’t seen one besides the one I built.

Now that I succeed building the first prototype, the target is to bring this low cost 3D Printer to every home, so we are developing the first affordable one with high resolution.

I hope you enjoy our blog, follow us and you can have this printer in your home soon.